Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The real meaning of Christmas

PLEASE feel free to leave me comments...I really want to know your thoughts on the things I've talked about in my blog...if it's a negative comment just be gentle!!

What are your plans for the holidays?

You do have plans, right?!  I mean, no matter how low key you're planning to keep the holidays this year (and many, many are doing the low key thing) but even if you are back-scaling you probably still have things you want to do like getting the house ready for guests, decorating for your family, a few gifts, cooking and baking.  So if you make a plan for each of the things you want to do it makes the whole much easier.

Try this...write 2-23 on a piece of paper and then mark the weekends so that would be 5 & 6, 12 & 13, 19 & 20.  Now you know you have 3 Saturdays before Christmas.  Write next to each day what you need to get done that day in order to get it all done before the BIG DAY!!  Sometimes it might be helpful to start from the last day.

Here's what it might look like:

2 - compile list of addresses for Christmas cards
3 - write letter for Christmas cards
4 - decide on modified Christmas dinner menu and grocery list (start looking for specials on these items)
5 - Saturday - finish making homemade gifts (this year cedar boxes for the girls)
6 - Finish letter, address envelopes, ready for mailing on Monday
7 - Clean oven
8 - Rent a movie and relax
9 - Clean and do any reorganizing needed in the kitchen
10 - Clean Family room and put up tree and a few decorations - make a little party of it
11 - Serve at Christmas Breakfast for nurses, Check out places who need volunteers (food kitchens, etc.)
12 - Finish any gift purchases needed KEEP IT SIMPLE
13 - Relax
14 - Clean bedrooms
15 - Clean living room
16 - Straighten office
17 - Clean bathrooms
18 - shop for items needed to make homemade candies
19 - make homemade goodies (fudge, pecan brittle, peppermint bark) and Christmas Party for work
20 - Hand out homemade candies to friends at church
21 - Hand out homemade candies to friends at work
22 - Bake pies and cornbread and biscuits for stuffing
23 - Finish any baking left undone, vacuum/mop floors throughout and plan to relax tomorrow - ALL DONE!!

See what I mean...I tried to only do a thing or two per day, remember a lot of this will be in the evenings because I'm at the office all day, and if the bathrooms are really deep clean a week ahead of time then on the day before it's hopefully just a matter of a few minutes to spot clean.  And, if I've missed something there's a good chance I'll remember in the next day or two and can add it where appropriate and I'm not scurrying around at the very last minute to do 15 things at once.

Well, what do you think?  Seem doable?  What does your plan look like?  Have you made one?  Should that be the first thing on your list - like for today - make a list!?

So, now with the tasks planned you have time to really think about what the holiday means to you, your family and now that you've got the planning under control so you don't lose the meaning amidst all the hustle and bustle.  What does Christmas mean to you?  Do you celebrate Christ's birth?  Or is it a time of sharing?  You might share your faith, your own resources, your love for mankind...what do you DO?  I've read some incredible stories from Delilah's newsletter (Delilah.com) about how people have been impacted from others.  One story was about a mother who knew she didn't have but enough formula for her baby but the bottle she was about to give her and when she got home that night there was a bag of groceries and formula on her doorstep.  To this day she doesn't know who did it...but God gets the glory and that is all that matters.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Patricia, for all your hard work putting your blogs together. What impresses me the most about them is how much you enjoy writing them! It's great to know you are doing something you love. Gotta go and study Hebrew... Peace, Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I really appreciate that. I do spend a lot of time thinking about what to write and don't write nearly all I think about, of coursse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time I came to your blog, and I found it very interesting. I notice that you said you do spend a lot of time thinking about what to write--I am almost the opposite, if it doesn't come off the top of my head it just doesn't get written. Come on over and take a peak at my blog sometime--I mostly just do verse, short write-ups and anything that I think might hold a person's interest for a few minutes. Have a good day, glad I got here, I like your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet of you! I love doing this. I think everyone should have a blog. Some, of course, would just be for themselves and family, but other blogs, like mine, are to help where you can. Thanks for reading...

    ReplyDelete