Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lessons I Learned About a Computer Crash

If you're new to this...and I am, too...some things you can do here: read my blog (no duh), sign up as a follower (way cool), checkout the ads to see what's cool and coming out especially in digital scrapbooking!! ALSO, I would love to have feedback, comments, etc. on what you read, if you're doing any of the things I've posted about or just whatever comes to mind. I've had comments from people who know me but they're not posted so others can read them which is a great thing so add your comments and have fun checking things out.  Also check out my other blog:  http://myscrapping.wordpress.com/

Things I’ve Learned About A Computer Crash
1. It can happen at any time with no warning

2. It will be a lot better if you’ve prepared ahead of time

      a. Know where all your program CDs are stored
         i. Recovery disks that came with your computer
         ii. Programs that you use or have purchased

      b. Photo on CDs or other backups

      c. Store them all in one place

      d. Look thru your computer now while it is still running and list ALL the programs you use on a regular basis and wouldn’t want to have to do without including the ones that are downloads (free or paid)

      e. Here’s my list

          i. Operating system – Windows XT (have disks) and download service packs
          ii. MS Office Professional (have disks)
          iii. MS Publisher (have disks)
          iv. Adobe Photoshop CS3 (have disks)
          v. Adobe Reader (download) latest version
          vi. Mosy backup (download)
          vii. Seagate FreeAgent (external hard drive software & hardware)
          viii. Mozilla Firefox (download)
          ix. Internet Explorer (on OS disks, download latest version)
                 1. plus anything like Google toolbar (download)
                 2. 4shared toolbar (download)
          x. McAfee Virus protection (download w/password)
          xi. SnapZip (download)
          xii. Bamboo Drawing Pad (have disk & hardware)
          xiii. ScanSoft Paper Port (have disks)
          xiv. Printer driver (have disks & printer)
          xv. Forex, ThinkorSwim and other investment software (download)
          xvi. ftp software (download)


     f. List all the web sites you don’t want to lose the address for – the Favorites folder won’t be there when you have to restore your computer to factory condition

     g. If you’re using your computer to remember your passwords - all your passwords will be gone because the cookies on your computer will all be wiped clean
3. Backup, backup, backup

      a. Have a backup

       b. Know where it/they are

       c. Have a backup of your backup

             i. I have an external hard drive but it can crash, too
             ii. So I have it backed up on CDs and even another external hard drive
             iii. Use an Internet storage service – Mozy.com (reference me and I'll get credit of some sort)
4. Now having said all that you’re gonna think, “well, it’s never happened to me so what are the chances that it will now”…if your computer is out of warranty (and possibly even if not) it will happen sooner or later but it will eventually crash. My computer just fell out of warranty three months ago.
And even more than that it’s human nature to ignore or put off what doesn’t feel eminent but I can tell you this would have been a simple enough thing to get through if I’d done all the things I listed above to plan for and prepare for a crash. I did, fortunately have my external hard drive and only lost a few files. But instead of taking 1 day or so to re-load it took me 5 days plus another couple of days to recreate the files I lost and some cannot be recreated.
5. Now if you’re really paranoid the next step would be to get copies of all the CDs listed above and keep them in a safe deposit box. Barring that I would suggest a firebox.

No comments:

Post a Comment